Very excited to see a new update, and I wondered why I couldn’t spar with Cosmia. Keep up the good work, really looking forward to the second dungeon, probably my favorite part of the first episode was the entire dungeon scenario. Gonna play through the game again to see the Cosmia scene. Thanks!
Spankers, Spankees and Switches of All Ages (18 and above),
First, we have a new version of Potion Wars up: Episode 2.12.
1. Added a scene written by Bonemouth for those of who you challenged Cosima to a sparring match in episode 1. Thanks Bonemouth! You can find Cosima in the guild. Just enter the main guild room, and hit talk. She should be there.
2. As requested, you can now purchase the childlike outfits that Ildri makes you wear if you piss her off enough. Note that you’ll need to start a new game in order to see them in the tailor’s inventory.
3. Fixed a bug where the dungeon crashes if you try to use the new (E)xit command in the episode 1 dungeon. I believe either the (E)xit command doesn’t show up at all for episode 1, or it just doesn’t do anything, since you’re not allowed to leave.
4. Modified the flavor text for spectral spanking to make the spell a bit less flexible in-story. While giant glowing hands spanking people is kind of funny, the ability to conjure glowing hands that mimic your every motion as a Tier 0 spell seems a bit absurd, and overpowered. Gameplay wise the spell hasn’t been affected.
5. Health gain and mana gain have been modified. Now, for health you gain 8 + however much health you went over the threshhold. So if your threshhold is 30/35, and you get hit for 10 damage, you will gain 8 + (40 – 35) = 13 health. You now gain a straight +3 mana every time you gain a point in Talent.
6. A bunch of behind the scenes stuff to make writing dynamic text easier, and in preparation for game mechanics that will show up once the episode 2 dungeon goes live.
Also, I’ve moved the Transcripts into their own tab. Clicking on the transcript tab will take you to a bunch of links allowing you to download the transcript pdf, and source. There’s also a link to a webpage of the transcript. Hovering your mouse over Transcript will display a link to “Episode 2” that links directly to the webpage displaying the transcript. Note: The transcript only contains the first scene of episode 2. In general, transcripts will only be posted a little bit after an episode is completed. This is mostly because I want you guys to actually play my game, rather than just read the transcripts. The transcripts are intended to give new people a sense of what they can expect, and the rest of you the ability to look for paths you may have missed during earlier playthroughs, or to see if beating that one asshole boss is actually worth it.
I’ve also finally finished episode 6 of the Etrian Odyssey Let’s Spank. I’m sorry it’s taken so damn long (almost two months!), but I’ve had a lot of trouble writing it. I finally realized that the reason I was having so much trouble with this, and the previous episode are because of tone clash. I’d designed these characters for a fairly whimsical and silly story. Unfortunately, Sam’s little PRS attack has taken the story down a darker path than I’d designed these characters for. So this and the previous episode have basically been trying to mash a round peg into a square hole and wondering why I’m having so much damn trouble. So in this episode, the Sirens basically dig themselves out of that hole. This episode is still a bit too dark, but nothing was really resolved in episode 5, and I can’t just drop it and pretend it never happened. Anyway, things will get much more light-hearted for episode 7.
Also, I’m definitely going to stick to one episode a month, rather than shooting for two. I overestimated my productivity. I have this annoying tendency to do that. So expect the next episode around the end of July.
15 thoughts on “Cosima Scene, New Etrian Odyssey Episode”
May I suggest something for the Coisma scene?
I totally understand that there should be no way for a novice to defeat a veteran in a duel, so I get why the scene is automatically a loss for the player. That doesn’t change the fact that I felt slightly cheated, since the event was based on a choice made in episode 1. I wonder if there’s a way you can have some kind of cleverly concealed method to win. Here are a couple of ideas I thought of:
-Coisma seemed pretty overconfident, which could lead to exploitable mistakes. Not sure about this one, as it would boil down to picking whether you wanted to win or lose.
-Perhaps Coisma has a weakness you can exploit (an injury from a battle long past that never fully healed, maybe). You could learn about this from someone who’s been around longer (like Maria or Morey). I understand if you want to leave the scene as is; after all, it’s your story. Just wanted to give my two cents.
Oh, and one other thing: Are you eventually going to include a scene for those who wanted to wait to punish Paloma (hopefully I spelled that correctly) until she healed?
Hey I just wanted to let you know that I may have found a bug. It seems that when I say yes to the “Can enemies spank you?” question in the beginning, it only works for the time that I’m playing. If I save, quit, and load up the file again, the setting it getting changed or something. I’ve tried battling without saving and quitting and the opponent will spank my character and counter my characters attempts occasionally, but when I quit I tried several times with many different opponents and never could get one to spank my character. I’m not entirely sure what’s causing this and I don’t know if my error file will be useful, since it isn’t really crashing or anything, but I thought I would give you a heads up.
I haven’t played the Cosima scene yet. However, can I suggest, that you do have an actual playable fight in that scene? If Cosima’s stats are that high, the player will lose anyway, but by actually playing it out, you can give the player a taste of what its like to go up against an endboss 😉
I did read episode 6. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would like to say you’re a great writer. I normally like my spankings lighthearted, but you write dark and still make it enjoyable. Kudos!