A new version of Scarlet Moon has been released that fixes a crash in the first episode experienced by anybody who uses anything other than the “genderdetermined” setting for their clothing. Basically, there was an assert floating around in there that I used for some ancient debugging session that I never removed.
Many thanks to the fan who pointed out the crash for me!
Also, been poking at Mischievous Misfortune here and there. A big problem that I’ve been wrestling with is that the Twine UI is HORRIFICALLY basic. It doesn’t let you do ANYTHING. It doesn’t even let you search in your current passage! *Notepad* lets you search! If your text editor has fewer features than Notepad, then you have *got* to work on your priorities. So that’s made development incredibly slow, clunky and frustrating, which has been killing my desire to work on it.
However! While searching the internet for solutions, I stumbled across a wonderful little program called Tweego: https://www.motoslave.net/tweego/
It’s basically a command line utility that lets you write your game in one or more files using your own damned editor, and then compiles it into a Twine game for you. No need for that horrifically basic UI. It’s fast, it’s easy, and it’s been making things so much smoother for me.
So yeah, hopefully we’ll start to see some actual progress on Mischievous Misfortune soon.
Just a small bugfix for a crash at the end of Scarlet Moon, when you pick one of the speedo or swim trunk options (the bare chest “shirt” you wear in that case was malformed). As reported by somebody a while back, but I’m not sure who because that e-mail deleted itself or something. 🙁
Anyway thank you forgotten bug reporter! Your help is not forgotten. Even if everything else about you has been.
Also, if this doesn’t fix the problem, please let me know!
New version uploaded with a fix to a crash in Episode 5 Day 2. Thanks VikingSpanko for pointing it out!
Also, don’t forget I’m currently putting out a call for ideas for Aspects for the player to choose from in Mischievous Misfortune: Aspects of Mischieovus Misfortune
New version uploaded that fixes a crash when fighting Buzzsaw (any Buzzsaw) with the average AI.
New version has been uploaded with a fix for a crash when meeting Bright in Episode 6 while using the Average AI. Get it at the downloads section!
Many thanks to the fan who e-mailed me with the bug report!
Got a couple of bugfixes here, including one for a crash waaay back in Episode 5 when you’re exploring a house (hopefully!), a crash in Episode 7 during your first encounter with the villain, and a bug that was causing the game to display the male character clothing text even when playing a female. Relatedly, there was a bug where I wasn’t correctly displaying the new option: clothingstyle.
So, we have a new option now: clothingstyle. This allows the player to tell the game which gendered set of clothing to put on when putting on clothing automatically. So for example, when the game automatically puts the player in their work clothes, if the setting is “genderbased” (the default), a female PC will wear a skirt, a male PC will wear pants. However, if clothingstyle is set to “female” then the PC will equip a skirt even if they are male. If clothingstyle is set to “male” the PC will equip pants even if they are female.
Furthermore, as a part of these bug fixes, I got the transcript-generating code working again, so we now have a transcript up that contains the last episode of content. Enjoy!
Another bugfix version, this time for an old bug in Episode 1 that was causing the game to stall if you wore any variety of jeans.
Many thanks to Beragon56 for the bug report!
A new version up with a bugfix for a crash reported by Wildfire on the route you take if you lose the first battle.
When I posted a link to the cutting room floor (here), I forgot that the files were using a custom filetype “story” that Scarlet Moon works with. They’re just plain text, so you can open them with any text editor. However, that still seems unnecessarily complicated, so below you can find a new version, where the filetypes have been changed to “txt” which your OS will recognize.
I would recommend using WordPad rather than Notepad on Windows. Notepad may not display line breaks correctly, and you’ll end up with a badly formatted blob.
New version of the cutting room floor with the filetype changed: cutting room floor
New version with some small bug fixes pointed out by Wildfire. No crashes, just a couple of typos, and one inconsistency.