Monthly Archives: February 2016
February 2016 Update

Spankers, Spankees, and Switches of All Ages (18 and above),

So I’ve made _excellent_ progress. I’ve managed to finish the first round of the game engine, something I wasn’t expecting to finish until the end of February at the earliest. Right now I’m working on the startup code. By the end of the week (at the latest) I should have all the code written to run the game for the first time.

However, that does _not_ mean that a release is right around the corner. Here’s a list of things I still need to do:

  1. Write JSON files describing the random enemies of the first dungeon, and the boss of the first dungeon (won’t be too hard. Maybe four files tops?) This includes writing the in-combat spanking text, but I’ll be lifting and modifying the combat text from the first enemies of Potion Wars, so that shouldn’t take too long.
  2. Write JSON files describing the clothing options for the player (lots of files here, but items are much simpler in this game than in Potion Wars, so again it shouldn’t be too difficult)
  3. Translate the transcript of the first day of the first episode into a JSON-like format (it’s not quite JSON because the events have line breaks, which I don’t believe JSON supports), and do any editing I decide to do.
  4. Debug the game. This one will probably take a while. I’ve been reasonably good about writing tests I think, however I don’t really have tests for the view or controller. The view because GUI code is rather hard to test automatically. The Controller is also woefully lacking in tests. Now, most of the Controllers are simple enough that that probably won’t be a problem (query model, invoke method on appropriate game screen). However the Combat Controller is rather complicated. I really should refactor that one out into smaller, more testable pieces. But I’m lazy.
  5. Balance the first dungeon.

Once those five steps are complete enough, I’ll pass it off to my beta testers to break.

So we may see a release by May, but officially, I’m going to keep it at June. I’ll admit that I have cut a few corners, and I’m not sure how badly that cutting is going to hurt me just yet.

One nice thing: I feel like I have a _much_ better handle on this codebase than I did on the Python codebase for Potion Wars. So that at least is a success!