July Update

Spankers, Spankees, and Switches of All Ages (18 and above),

Sorry about the delay in the monthly post. Fourth of July is a thing where I’m from, and I had a pretty busy weekend.

Anyway, I’ve stopped receiving complaints about the game being broken, so either people’s problems have been fixed, or a bunch of you have given up on ever getting the game to work. I hope it’s the former, and not the latter…

Anyway, there are now four variations you can download: The original two versions for Windows and Linux/Mac/Unix that don’t come with an embedded JRE, and a version for Windows that comes with an embedded JRE and a version for Linux that comes with an embedded JRE. The windows version may or may not work with PlayOnMac, I haven’t tested it. I would recommend one of the first two initially, because they are a smaller download size. Only download the version with the embedded JRE if you are having trouble running the version without an embedded JRE.

Now that all the fires have either been put out, or burned you all to ash, I’ve been working on a significant refactor of the parts of the codebase that are responsible for displaying the GUI, and processing input from the user. Both of those two pieces were rather heavily intertwined and fugly, but the new version is looking much cleaner (makes heavy use of a rather awesome library called ReactiveX).

I’m performing this refactor partially because my codebase desperately needed it, partially support some additional GUI work I’ll need to do to support the second episode, and partially because one SpankerOfOmens on animeotk has expressed interest in using my engine, and this refactor is the first step to pulling the Scarlet Moon specific stuff out of the more general game engine stuff. I’ve tried to keep the two logically separate, so hopefully pulling them apart won’t be too difficult, but we’ll see.

Bonemouth and I have written static text for the bulk of day 2 of episode 1 (he handled the beach scene, while I handled the scene immediately after). The only thing lacking is the climax of the episode (a rematch with Buzzsaw). However, Chaosnova (the one who wrote those two shorts that I posted a while back) has agreed to write that up while I work on cleaning up some of the warts in my code, and making it ready for other projects to use. Once Chaosnova has finished their scene, I’ll edit it and make it dynamic. Then we’ll have to make sure the combat is properly balanced, as well as implement a few more skills (though those should be pretty quick). Chaosnova has also provided a third bit of flash fiction that I’m looking over right now. I’ll post that once I think it’s ready.

AKA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.